An Inn with a Past
The Nutmeg is a classic example of a 1770's Vermont Farm House with attached Carriage House and Barn.
On April 29, 1751 Mr. Zephaniah Swift received a land grant (see above) for the tract known as Wilmington and belonging to the Province of Newhampsheir. Mr. Swift was then responsible for dividing the tract onto responsible individuals. On September 21, 1772, he did just that and sold a parcel to Lieutenant Bezaleel and Joanne Waste, as recorded in Book 1, pages 112-113 of the Property Transfer records for the Town of Wilmington. At that time the Wastes had 2 children:
- Ebenezer Waste Born: September 23, 1768 Dartmouth, Mass.
- Bezaleel Waste Born: March 10, 1772 Bolton, Connecticut
Bezaleel and Joanne, sometime after their purchase, began building their farm house and barn which was believed to be attached to the main house by a breeze way. Most likely the carriage house was added as their family grew. They proceeded to have 5 more children all of whom were born in Wilmington. The property, which was really more of an estate, would stay in the Waste family for some years. Parcels were bought and sold, adding to the betterment of their farm. On August 28, 1827, the acreage containing the farm house was sold to Elam French and the process continued. It is interesting to note the language of some of the transactions: "Mr. Wheeler sells...(a) parcel to Mr. Willard for concideration of 400 dollars...provided that Mr. Wheeler removes his horses from the land by the time the first snow falls."
Sometime between 1890 and 1920 the Bellows family would expand the first floor of the carriage house and add a second floor to it. This is reflected in pictures which were brought to the Inn by Mrs. Bellows and now hang in the hallway. After that the farm house, barn and carriage house would stay in much the same way as Mr. and Mrs. Waste built them in circa 1777.
On October 3, 1958, Mr. Dave French purchased the property and turned it into a ski lodge to house skiers for the newly opened resort called Mount Snow. Dave named the property The Nutmeg after his home State of Connecticut. In 1984 the Lawrences bought the Inn, and gently and tastefully transformed it into one of the premier properties within Vermont. In 1995 Dave and Pat Cerchio first visited The Nutmeg Inn and shortly thereafter became the new caretakers.
Current owners, Paul and Shelley, purchased this little piece of beautiful Vermont in the fall of 2014 and are looking forward to gently updating the property while holding on to its rich history. They hope to bring the property into the 21st century while keeping a firm eye on Vermont’s statewide goal of getting 90% of its energy from renewable sources by 2050 and being an active part of keeping The Green Mountain State green.